Fluorite Socks

5:35 PM

Vivid Winter issue of Pom Pom Quarterly has so many lovely patterns that I had a hard time choosing which one to start with. I decided to go with the ones that I had yarn for first, and socks that I could use all those leftover sock yarns sounded like a good pattern to start with. Finding a fade of seven colors wasn't as easy as I thought, though. I tried several combos and ended up with this one. It's still not perfect, as the red is too dark. I took a black and white picture of the yarns, so I knew there was a problem with the red. Nevertheless, it was the best choice of the ones I had, so I decided to go with this combo anyway.


Pattern: Fluorite by Andrea Mowry
Yarn: Hedgehog Fibres Sock in colorways Construct (A, 12 g) and Bramble (C, 23 g), Lanitium ex Machina Merino Sock in colorway Queen of the Elves (F, 31 g), Easyknits.co.uk Dusted Dreams in colorway Tiffin (E, 14 g) and Garn Surr Sokke Merino in gray-pink (B, 11 g), white (D, 13 g), and purple (G, 18 g). 
Needles: 2,5 mm (US 1 1/2)


I wanted to knit two-at-a-time, and doing that with a single cake, knitting from both ends, and fading to the next color made quite a mess. It was doable, though, so I continued and managed to finish both socks at the same time. Unfortunately, the socks turned out too big. The instructions tell you to knit the foot until 3 cm less than the desired foot length, but my heel took 5,5 cm after that. My gauge was slightly off (32 sts and 48 rows instead of 34 sts and 45 rows), but that should actually work in the opposite direction. I guess the 3 cm instruction was for the smallest size, and with the largest size you need to work more rows. I tried the sock on after the heel, but for some reason I didn't believe it was that big, and continued anyway. Of course, this only means that I have to knit another pair and this time get a better combo for the fade and start the heel earlier. In the meanwhile, I think that I can wear these socks anyway!



You Might Also Like

0 kommenttia

recent posts