Test knitting: Progression shawl

9:50 AM

While I was waiting for my test knitters to finish their Betua Hat and Mittens projects, I started thinking that it would be nice to step on the other side myself and experience the test knitting process from the tester's point of view. I noticed a testing call for this pretty rhomboid shawl, and loved the way it makes use of gradient yarn. First, I told myself that I'm too busy with my other projects, but before I knew it I was already stash diving to see if I had something that could work with this design. So I signed up for my first test knitting project as a tester.


Pattern: Progression shawl by Helen Kennedy
Yarn: Tukuwool Fingering (colorways 10 Rae 93 g and 30 Kimo 68 g) and Viking of Norway Nordlys (colorway 934 45 g)
Needles: 4 mm (US 6)


The testing process was interesting and I learned more about the difference in continental and English knitting from the pattern writing point of view, and I hope this will help me in writing my own patterns as well. I had some trouble with Chinese waitress cast on, but other testers pointed out that it's the same as crocheted cast on and after that the pattern was easy to follow. Aster stitches were something new for me, and it was really addictive to wait for the color changes in the Nordlys yarn.




Unfortunately, I don't seem to learn from my mistakes. I should've learned from the Broken seed stitch socks already that there needs to be enough contrast with the colour-changing yarn and the solid yarns (or, I should've read the instructions!). I just chose yarns that looked nice together and ended up with some invisible aster stitches - even if I tried to cut out the bits with the least contrast... Still, I'm pretty happy with the result - I love these autumn colors!


Taking part in CreaDienstag.

You Might Also Like

5 kommenttia

  1. Wonderful, autumn colors!
    Love your work!
    Ahoi!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Näytätpäs sievältä! Ja uusi huivisi myös!

    Miltä tuntui olla testineuleprojektin toisella puolella?

    Terveisin uskollinen mutta hidas testineulojasi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos vaan. Luulen olevani vähän huono testineuloja, kun en yleensäkään koviin tarkkaan seuraa ohjeita... Mutta toivottavasti opin jotain testausprosessista testaajien näkökulmasta. Voit sitten ensi kerralla arvioida (olis muuten se huivi kohta tulossa testaukseen minkä testaajaksi jo ilmoittauduit vapaaehtoisesti).

      Delete
  3. This article is a treasure trove of knowledge for knitters. The tips on correcting common mistakes are practical and well-explained. I've bookmarked it for future reference – a go-to guide for every knitting project!

    ReplyDelete

recent posts