Corvid Coat

8:49 AM

Corvid was, for me, one of those designs that you know you want to knit from the first time you see it. Love at first sight. That perfect item missing from your wardrobe. I had to have it. And it only took me a year to knit one!


Pattern: Corvid by Jared Flood
Yarn: Austermann Irish Tweed, 855 g
Needles: 4 and 4,5 mm (US 6 and 7)


The cardigan is knitted flat in pieces and then sewn together. This is a good choice, as knitting it in one piece would mean that you have a gigantic piece of knitting to work on (well, you still do, once you get to the collar...). Also, such a large item benefits from the added structure given by the seams.

This was a nice project to have by my desk last winter: the endless stockinette stitch was a perfect companion to everything I was reading. Unfortunately, the gorgeous cartridge rib details are not so easy to knit while reading, and that slowed down the process. I can do 1x1 or 2x2 ribbing while reading, even brioche, but the cartridge rib pattern is not monotonous enough to be automated in my brain.


I always love it if there is something new for me in the pattern. This time, it was tubular bind off. It does give a lovely finishing touch to the sleeves. In the pattern pictures, the sleeves are 3/4 length. I'm really happy that mine are full length, but I have to admit that I don't remember if I intentionally knitted them longer, if I knitted them longer by accident, or if it happened in blocking. I haven't measured the cardigan after blocking, but it looks rather long, so the extra length might be due to blocking. Of course, I don't know how much taller their model is, but I'm not short either (I'm almost 180 cm/5'11"). This is also the reason why I couldn't have Business Woman model for me this time - the cardigan is too big for her. (And why do I usually have her in front of the camera and not behind it? Look at the collar on the back side...)


So now I have that perfect long cardigan that was missing from my wardrobe! Unfortunately, I have noticed that it's not so easy to wear: you don't want your cardigan open when it's cold outside and putting a shorter coat on top of it leaves a funny cardigan hem hanging from under the coat. So now I need to get a longer coat...


I'm also wearing my Flying Jib Shawl in the pictures.
It's RUMS day.

You Might Also Like

0 kommenttia

recent posts